The history of Johnson Baker:
Johnson Baker and Co was founded in 1932 by Geoffrey Johnson. It began fitting shop fronts, quickly moving to fitting shop fronts for high-end jewellery shops. In the
1950s, Johnson Baker began to start fitting shops for major high-street names, including F. Hinds and James Walker. In those days the company was based in Putney, London, and during this period it fitted over 1,000 shop fronts.
Christopher and Colin Johnson, the second generation directors, started work in this position from 1965. During the 1970s Johnson Baker began to branch out from shop-fronts into display items for jewellers, including boxes, cases, price tickets and window display pads. It was in this period that the company relocated to its large factory unit in the West Country, in the Saxon hilltop town of Shaftesbury, Dorset.
Richard Johnson, the third generation of the family, joined the business as a managing director in 1997. Christopher and Richard Johnson joint manage the company to this day. (Even the fourth generation is seen occasionally helping out!)
Johnson Baker is now primarily concerned with the retail jewellery trade, and is continuing to go from strength to strength.